Tuesday, May 25, 2004

A Look Back at 24 Years



Last week I celebrated my 24th birthday. It was a good day. I was able to spend the day with Jenn and many of my new friends here in Arkansas. It was different, as every birthday has been. After 24 years I am still curious, for which I thank God. After 24 years I am able to feel like a kid (although not as often as I like). However, at 24 I sometimes feel older than I am. I let things get to me that a person who is 24 should not let get to them. However, I am not ashamed of my 24 years. I regret very little in my 24 years. Yet, I have lived too little in my 24 years. I vow to change that.

At 24 I think of Switchfoot’s song “24”. I do not normally post lyrics, but these have always struck me:
“24 oceans
24 skies
24 failures
and 24 tries.
24 finds me in 24th place
with 24 dropouts at the end of the day.
Life is not what I thought it was-24 hours ago,
Still I'm singing spirit take me up in arms with you.
And I'm not who I thought I was 24 hours ago,
Still I'm singing spirit take me up in arms with you…”


I am also reminded of the sermon from Pastor Bob at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church late last month. His questions still resonate with me, and I am taking them to heart:
”When was the last time that you stopped your busy life and took some time to let God speak to you. To fill a moment of yours with peace and serenity, wonder and meaning. What are the significant moments in your life as you look back. The remembrances that you may have piled up like stones to remind you of the special time that God intersected your life, when you felt God close to you, when your hopes were renewed, when your strength was renewed, when life was special, fresh and precious?”

I look forward to what God has in store for me in the upcoming years. I am excited, but I will not sit idle and expect things to come to me. I’ve spent enough time sitting.

No comments: