Saturday, June 26, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

This is pretty interesting, from Yahoo! News: 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Tops $8M in First Day

Last night Jenn and I went to see Fahrenheit 9/11 at the only theater in NW Arkansas that was showing the film. To our suprise the movie was sold out for the first show we attempted to go to. Later, we learned that all 4 shows at the theater sold out at least 2 hours before each show. Thankfully, we did get tickets to a showing.

I've mentioned it before, I am not a huge Michael Moore fan. I had some issues particularly with his movie Bowling for Columbine and with some of this actions outside of movies. However, I believe that he (as do all Americans) have the right to free speech...but on to the movie...

This movie was very powerful. I do not believe everything the movie claims, but I also do not discount it. The movie questions the Bush family and bin Laden family relationship. It also questions the reasons for attacking Iraq as opposed to going after Al Qaeda with full force. The movie is also very emotional as Moore interviews soldiers in Iraq as well as families of soldiers.

There are many places where Moore lets people speak for themselves. Moore shows us the clips of Bush and administration that the news will not. (Have you ever wondered what someone says after or before a soundbite?) Moore also follows around two Marine Corps recruiters on their trip around Moore's home town of Flint, MI. I think the movie was put together better than Bowling for Columbine and I think it will have more of an impact too.

I would recommend seeing this film. I do not think anyone must believe everything that is said, but I would suggest those who are "upset" about the movie to go see it before they make judgement.

No comments: