Monday, June 07, 2004

Presidential Passing

By now the insane amount of media coverage should have seeped through to even the least aware of America regarding the death of former President Ronald Reagan. I will admit, I am not nor have ever been a Reagan fan. However, I do respect the man for the impact he has made on the United States and the world. However, I do question why many in the media and elsewhere are talking about how this is such a sad time for America. My prayers are with his family and friends as they mourn the loss of a loved one, but I do not think it sad that a man who lived a rich and full life and has been suffering for at least 10 years with a horrible disease is finally at peace and now in a much better place. This is not something to be sad about at all. His accomplishments should be celebrated (as should those of anyone who has had such a life). I have seen my grandmother go through a similar struggle with Parkinson’s disease. I will be very sad when she passes, but I will also be so happy that she is no longer suffering and that she is with my grandfather again.

No comments: