Sunday, June 29, 2003

I am so glad the weekend is over. It was a good weekend, but I spent from 330pm Friday until 8pm Sunday helping Jenn and her roommate move. For most of the time it was the three of us or just Jenn and I so it was a very long process. However, it was nice because I got to spend a lot of time with Jenn and sometimes it just feels good to do physical labor.

On Friday I spoke with a person I went to h.s. with and have not talked to for over two years. It was good to "catch up" with him because we were pretty good friends. While talking we both came to the conclusion that H.S. is pretty worthless for some people. For both of us it was a time for ridicule, isolation, and akwardness. Yes, this is part of high school. I completely understand that. I don't blame anyone for what happened. But, I do think that there is a fundamental change that needs to take place in high schools across America. I am in no way qualified to determine what this change is, but I was a student in a "typical suburban high school" for four years, and I know there are other high school graduates out there who also feel the same way. I think this makes us all qualified to know that a change is needed. American high schools do need to break down the barriers between "jocks" and everyone else. They need to break down the barriers between the AP or IB kids and everyone else. HS is just like the US on a smaller level. HS portrays and creates a class system. There are those who are "better" and those who are "worse". If there is one thing an educational institution that recieves money from the taxpayers should not being doing, it is creating those class distinctions.

I hope that one day I can be in a position to help change this problem.

Had to just get that off my chest. That is all.

No comments: