Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Thoughtful Solitude


There is so much going on right now. In the world, in my life, in the lives of others. Obviously this is always the case, but I think, at least for myself, the full realization of this comes only after spending a lot of time alone. Being alone gives me the opportunity to really think about things for an extended period of time. Yes, this has, at times, led me to dwell on a specific issue, but I think I've grown past that. I like this opportunity to think, but I could not and cannot do it for long periods of time. I think we as humans need meaningful personal interaction. But to keep a balance we also need that solitude. I know what I am stating is probably obvious to most people, but nevertheless it is always helpful to remind myself of things which I take for granted.

A short political rant



Ok...so maybe I am just being negative, but when it comes to the fiasco in California, the fiasco in Texas and the really big Texan fiaso in D.C. I am almost to the point of not caring. Its not that I've lost interest in politics and its not as if I do not care about the people who are affected by the various fiascos. It is just that I would like to see those who are orchestrating these fiascos to get their due. I believe it was Plato who said that justice is "giving each their due". Well I hope that "the due" of those wishing to recall Davis in California is a no-name with no political experience and no personal skills elected the new governor (or Gary Coleman). I hope that with the redistricting in Texas the district boundaries are redrawn and instead of maintaining a republican majority the new lines, for some reason, actually increase the number of elected democrats including a strong contingent of Gays, Lesbians and Mexican Immigrants. And I hope the due of those involved in the D.C. fiasco is to have Condi Rice and Colin Powell leave the administration because of their somewhat secret support of Affirmative Action and then Donny Rumsfield admitting that pre-1953 he was a woman. This would in turn lead to the election of Al Sharpton as the next President of the U.S.A. Yes, I realize that none of this will actually happen and I probably would not like it all if it did, but I can dream can't I?

No comments: