Saturday, February 21, 2004

A Question of Religiosity

On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. - 1 Corinthians 12:22-26

Recently a friend sent an email out to a group of acquaintances. In the email this friend highlights many of the things that he/she likes about each individual. I really enjoyed this email because all of the recipients know one another and it was very interesting to see how this person perceives the rest of the group. However, in the email this friend chooses a few of the recipients and comments on their “Christianity”, rather, makes light of their Christian virtues. I found this odd because not all of those in the group who are Christians had a comment about their Christianity. Rather, those who talk more about themselves as Christians where the ones with the comments on their religion. This is not the first time I’ve encountered a situation like this. Each time I question why this happens. I will not debate whether or not these people are Christians, as God knows what lies in their heart, but I do question whether or not one is more commonly perceived as a Christian the more they talk as opposed to the more they act (with some talk) of being Christian? Basically, who is more commonly believed to be a Christian: a) The person who always talks about being a Christian and wanting to be like Christ or b) The person who acts with the belief that they want to be like Christ and still talks about being a Christian, but is more reserved?

As I mentioned earlier, I am not the person to decide whether or not someone else is a Christian, God knows what is in the heart of each person. I get frustrated when Christians judge me as not being a Christian. I’ve accepted Jesus Christ in my heart, God knows this. I am still a sinner, I am not perfect and I do not deny this. I may do some activities that are not sins, but are against the wishes of some churches. This does not make me any less of a Christian, nor does it make anyone else less of a Christian. Maybe I am rambling, or maybe I’ve not slept enough and have seen too much publicity on The Passion of the Christ. Regardless, I think I’ve written enough.

”Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:28-31

No comments: