Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The Gay Marriage Issue

From Yahoo! News: Bush makes gay marriage election issue.

I wish I did not have to repeat it, but as Jesus talks about in Mark: ”Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:28-31

I honestly do not understand why we can not allow committed Homosexual couples the same rights and legal freedoms as committed Heterosexual couples. This is not a religious issue it is a LEGAL issue. If we are to use the word "marriage" I understand the religious implications. However, because of those religious implications we should rid the legal code of the word "marriage" and define the joining of a committed couple of any orientation as a "Union" or a "Civil Union". This would not be ground shattering, it would not change the way our country is run. It would continue our long tradition of equal rights for all. IT IS THAT SIMPLE! A Constitutional Amendment regarding Marriage would be completely ridiculous. If we are to make an Amendment based on this issue we should then go ahead and forget writing laws and just pass Amendments. If that is the case I want a Constitutional Amendment banning cigarette smoking in public places, a Constitutional Amendment against the showing of automobile commercials during NCAA Men's Basketball Games, a Constitutional Amendment restricting the right of my neighbor to own a Lexus and a Constitutional Amendment restricting the usage of National Parks by natural blondes. These things all upset me and I demand that the US Government adhere to my wishes. I hope you are listening Mr. President! (And yes I am being sarcastic).


FATHER, I pray for those in this world who have hatred in their hearts for any of YOUR creations. I pray that you show them how powerful YOUR LOVE is and how essential it is to LOVE all of their neighbors despite their differences. If we are to follow the ways of YOUR SON then we must LOVE one another and treat each other with respect. AMEN.

No comments: