Wednesday, October 22, 2003

"I am so not cool"
First things first... a couple of weeks ago Michelle began Project Mail-a-thon. Today I found in the mail a beautiful handmade postcard with the famous line from Frost's poem "Two roads divereged in a wood, and I took the onle less traveled by, and that has made all the difference". Behind the words are four b/w pictures of various roads. It is very cool! It definetely adds to my recent fascination with country roads. Thank you Michelle. If anyone wants to participate in this quickly growing movement feel free to email me or visit Michelle

Ok, so why do I say that I am not cool. Its obvious, never in my life have I been a "cool kid". I am ok with this. I am actually ok with the term "nerd". I am a nerd, there is no doubt about that. I like to read, I like to study, I love to learn, etc...However, I am not a geek (which would be equally as good as a nerd, but I am just not a geek). I am not a dork either, but thats ok to be as well. Just remember us nerds rock...not being cool means I am secure with who I am. There is more...but I just cannot put it into words right now. I just wanted to make it known that I am not cool and I am very ok with that. :-)

**Update 12:42am 10/23/03**
Common stereotypes about nerds (a sub-section of the "un-cool")
- few friends
- friends are only nerds (or dorks, geeks, etc...)
- more online friends than offline
- only enjoy "un-cool" things (i.e. D&D, Star Trek, Pogs, etc...)
- don't enjoy sports (or consider academics a "sport")
- don't date
Ok, you all get the idea. I guess what I am trying to say is its ok to be yourself. We don't need to strive to be "cool". Personally, if I had to stop reading Harry Potter books because its not a cool thing to do when you are 23 years old I wouldn't want to be cool. I just think to myself, Jesus was okay with not being cool. If there is any person I'd most want to be like it would be Jesus. So we as the "un-cool" are in some darn good company if I do say so myself.

So ends my ramblings on being "un-cool". Thank you and have a nice day.

No comments: