Friday, September 12, 2003

Interview Meme Questions from Jen
1.) You've lived all or most of your life in Colorado and now you're doing grad stuff in Arkansas? How do the cultures in each place differ?
Good question. They differ quite a bit. The last place I lived in Colorado was very, very relaxed, very wealthy and very educated. To the contrary NW Arkansas is relaxed, but more formal with keeping traditions (Southern Hospitality all the way). There is an economic boom here (yes, unlike the rest of the country), but it’s not wealthy like Durango was. Arkansas is also not nearly as well educated (and I mean only formally...a smaller percent of the population have college degrees and what not) as Colorado.
I do really enjoy many of the traditions (in regards to state pride, school pride, etc). Colorado just did not have these traditions. I also think that the people here are very friendly; they will talk to you on the bus, or at the store. Many times Coloradoans (specifically in Durango and much of the Denver area) are not as willing to do this.
All said and done I still Love Colorado, but I really like it down here.
2.) What is your impression of what I would be like in real life if you were to meet me?
I think you would be shy and reserved, but still very thoughtful and kind. I think it would take a little while for you to open up, but once you did you probably would not be nearly as shy.
3.) Flash forward to the future when you are married and have kids. What would be the two things you'd want for them?
Wow, really tough question. First and foremost I'd want them to grow up as individuals. I want them to discover things on their own while still learning the values that my wife and I would teach them. I would not want to shelter them, but I want them to know what is right and what is wrong. Second, I would want them to have a quality education. My parents have always held education very high, I would do the same.
4.) Describe your ideal church.
Hmm...Right now in my life my ideal church would be a place geared towards "spiritual seekers" and "new" Christians. It would be a place where discussion was encouraged and there would be learned "pastors" who would facilitate discussion and help the members with the questions they had on their journey through and with Faith. Smaller would be better because of discussion and a church of people from the same community would also be very cool. The Biblical values I'd like a church to emphasize would be Faith, Grace, Love, Authenticity and Missions. I see it that Christianity is about the life of Jesus Christ so I think a church should emphasize (while still keeping and teaching the Old Testament) the teachings of Christ. However, I am still very attached to rituals, in particular Communion, statement of faith, Lord's Prayer, etc...I think music is essential to worship, but I think a more acoustic style is the most welcoming style...especially those who are searching and are not familiar with the idea of “Church”.
5.) What is the most powerful spiritual experience that you've had?
I don't think I can narrow it down to one experience so I will talk about the one that happened at a really good time.
I can remember one of the first real experiences that solidified my belief in God shortly after becoming a Christian. This took place on Sept. 8, 2000 at of all things a Moby concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater outside Denver, CO. It was during the song "Next is the E" at the point where Moby screams (which is pretty inaudible unless you knew it was coming) "Now lift your hands to heaven". Being outside on beautiful autumn night with 10,000 other people, I could feel the presence of God. Arguably Moby is a Christian and he has admitted making some of his music for Jesus Christ, but I just think that his music in general is so spiritual.

But that’s it…thanks for the questions Jen.


The Interview Meme
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions — each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal or blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

No comments: