Friday, July 11, 2003

This will be my last post for about a week. I am headed to Arkansas with Jenn to find an apartment. We will also be hitting up Tulsa, OK , Hays, KS and Denver, CO.

2004 Presidential Race


I thought I'd leave with a little bit of politics:

From Yahoo! News: Some Moderate Democrats Could Like Dean

From MSN News: Democrats uniting behind criticism of Bush on Iraq

At this point in my life I hesitate to identify with any of the 5 significant political parties (Democrats, Republicans, Reform, Libertarians, Greens). I am a registered Democrat…this I will admit. However, I don't always agree with them, nor do I always agree with any of the parties. I guess you could say I am a moderate, but I am opposed to Capital Punishment, I support a war on drugs (not the current one mind you), I support gun rights (to an extent…I don't need an AK to hunt geese), I did not support the war in Iraq, but I did support the use of force in Afghanistan. So whatever that makes me…I don't know…but that is of course the tip of iceberg when it comes to my political beliefs.

Currently I support Howard Dean in the 2004 Presidential Race. I do not believe he is as "liberal" as everyone says. I am ok with this. I do not agree with him on everything, but I am okay with that. I like the man. I think he is as honest as any of the candidates, I like him because he takes stands when others are afraid. I consider him closer to Teddy Roosevelt than the other candidates. (There are only a few politicians who I give this compliment to…they include Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), CO State Rep Mark Larson (R-Cortez), Fmr. CO State Sen. Mike Feeley (D-Lakewood) there are a few others…but anyway).

What is really interesting is that both of these articles talk about the Democrats moving closer to Dean (in regards to positions). This is what I love about politics. Dean may not get the nod from the Dems, but he will at least move some of the candidates towards the position of (what some say) the majority of the American People. This is how politics should be. I love good ole' fashion American Populism…the kind that we had at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. Williams Jennings Bryan never became president, but he did put a lot of issues affecting the American People in the limelight. If anything Howard Dean is doing just that, just as John McCain did during his run. These two people may never be destined for President, but at least they are taking some of the American Peoples thoughts to Washington. After all isn't that what ALL of our Representatives should be doing?

In other news


I pray that God will keep us safe on this trip and I pray that God will assist me in my struggles with Faith as of recent. I am thankful I am not blind in Faith, but boy is it hard to see and be curious.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates (or So-Crates to us kids born in the 80's).

See you in a week or so!

No comments: